Certified Staff

Certified Staff

Certified staff members are professionally trained educators who drive the diverse educational experiences available to our students. Some of the certified positions we offer include:
  • Auto Technology Teacher
  • Counselor
  • General Education Teacher
  • Fine Arts Teacher
  • Gifted Teacher
  • Instructional Facilitators
  • Interventionists
  • JROTC Teacher
  • Librarian
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physical Education Teacher
  • Physical Therapist
  • Secondary Teacher (MS/HS Contents)
  • Special Education Teacher
  • Speech-Language Pathologist
  • School Psychologist
  • Social Worker 
Below, you’ll find a few links that are specific to certified staff:

Teacher Licensure

All teachers employed with the Leavenworth School District are required to be certified teachers in the State of Kansas.
Information regarding certification may be obtained from the Kansas State Department of Education in Topeka at (785) 296-2288 or at their office, located at 120 SE 10th Ave., Topeka, KS 66612. You can also visit their website at www.ksde.org and click on licensure under the educator's tab.

Renewing/Obtaining a Kansas Teaching License

Below are links and guidance on renewing and/or obtaining your Kansas Teaching License with the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE).

  • License Look-up: This KSDE link allows you to see the expiration date for your license and indicates your individual relicensure requirements.

  • Licensure Home Page: This KSDE link will direct you to the home page, which lists all of their sites for obtaining licensure information.

  • Application: This KSDE link will take you to the list of all licensure applications and forms.

Exchange Agreement

An exchange agreement is in place for individuals coming to Kansas from the following states: Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Wisconsin. This agreement allows teachers and school specialists who completed their approved university education program in one of these states and are currently licensed in that state to obtain a two-year exchange license in Kansas while they complete any additional Kansas Licensing requirements. Individuals licensed in states not belonging to the exchange agreement may obtain a one-year temporary non-renewable Kansas license while they complete the Kansas pre-certification testing requirements. For additional information, visit the Kansas Department of Education website.

Contacts for Support

HR will be glad to assist you with general questions about the renewal process and support you in securing any district information you need; however, individual questions are best answered by the licensure officers at KSDE.

KSDE: 785-291-3678 or click here to review the list of contacts on the right side of the page

USD453: Myranda Agnew, 913-684-1400, Myranda.Agnew@usd453.org

Teacher’s Negotiated Agreement

The Teacher’s Negotiated Agreement is a governing document that outlines the work duties and responsibilities of our certified teaching staff.  Negotiations between the district and the Leavenworth National Education Association (LNEA) occur annually.  

You can view a copy of the most current teacher’s negotiated agreement here.

Lateral Movement


Written requests for movement on the salary schedule must be received in the central office by June 1st of the preceding school year. College hours must be earned prior to September 1. Official transcripts and/or PDC transcripts are to be turned in to the Director of Human Resources by September 1. The lateral movement salary increase would occur in the September payroll. Failure to apply by June 1 and submit official transcripts and /or PDC transcripts by September 1 will result in a one year delay for lateral movement. The request for lateral movement form is shown in the appendix. 

Lateral Movement Requests should be filled electronically on TalentEd Records.


Teachers will be allowed to move on the salary schedule to a DEGREE ONLY column if receiving a masters, ed spec, or doctorate prior to January 1. Written requests for lateral movement on the salary schedule must be received in the central office by December 1st of the current school year. Official transcripts are to be turned into the Director of Human Resources by January 20. A revised contract will be issued and must be signed and returned before change in payroll. The payroll change will be for the last six months of the contract year.


Lateral movement on the salary schedule applies to teachers who have completed one full or partial year of service with the district and qualify according to the provisions of this article. Hours refer to semester hours. Quarter hours will be converted to semester hours at a ratio of 3:2.

  • Hours must be taken from an accredited four-year college or university. 
  • Movement from Levels 1 and 2 - Teachers may use undergraduate or graduate hours in education or in a field in which the teacher is certified/licensed to teach. 
  • Movement from Level 3 to 4 requires a master’s degree in education or a field in which the teacher is certified/licensed to teach. Movement from 
  • Levels 4, 5, 6 and 7 requires graduate hours in education or in the field in which the teacher is certified/licensed to teach. 
  • Movement from Level 7 requires an Ed.D. or a Ph.D. A Ph.D. must be in education or in the field in which the teacher is certified/licensed to teach.

If a teacher wants to use hours to move on the schedule not covered in the above stipulations, or to use community college or undergraduate hours, prior approval from the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee must be obtained. Teachers requesting approval of hours must submit a written request containing reasons for taking the hours, benefits expected by the individual teacher and the benefits to the district. Such request must be made prior to the start of the hours to be taken. The Superintendent or the Superintendent’s designee will approve or disapprove the request and such action shall be final. 

Movement above will require hours or in-service points earned after the date of the master’s degree. 

Level 9 is for teachers who, prior to September 1, 2000, had been granted movement based on BS+35. Teachers on this level during the 1999-00 school year will be grandfathered on this level and will remain until they earn a master’s degree which enables them to move to Level 4 or above. There will be no placements or movement to Level 9 after the 1999-00 contract year. 


Professional development points can be used for lateral movement only if approved in advance by the building principal or district level administrator, and if all the following conditions are met: 

  1. The activity occurs on a teacher's own time; and
  2. The activity is District sponsored or is a non-District expense; and
  3. Certificate/Documentation of the activity is completed within 30 school days of the date of the activity and includes hours; and
  4. The activity occurred and was completed within five (5) years of the request for lateral movement. 

One clock hour equals one professional development point. At the discretion of the building administrator, double points can be earned toward lateral movement for presenting to a minimum of 12 teachers, an activity that assists other USD 453 employees in acquiring proficiency in instructional systems, pedagogy, or content. Twenty (20) professional development points equal one hour of page 27 college credit or one (1) lateral movement credit. Professional development points earned must be reported to the appropriate building administrator within 30 days of the time the points were earned. Points earned between June 1 and August 1 must be turned in by September 1. Points not turned in within the specified time will not be allowed for lateral movement credit. 

A transcript of approved professional development points will be provided upon request for the purposes of application for licensure renewal and/or lateral movement. 


Lateral movement on the salary schedule outlined in this article will be granted according to the following: