All inclement weather decisions are based on concerns for student, parent, and staff safety.
In the event of inclement weather, USD 453 will:
- Make the decision to close school, or implement Late Start schedule, no later than 6:00 a.m. that day.
- Provide notice to the major television stations in the Kansas City area (KSHB 41, KCTV 5, and KMBC 9); post the closing on the district website (www.usd453.org), and utilize the autodialer parent notification system to call families with cancellation information.
It is the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to:
- Listen to news broadcasts on questionable mornings, or check the District website.
- Decide whether or not to send their child(ren) to school. When the decision is made that schools will be open, a parent/guardian may choose to keep their child(ren) home because weather conditions may be considered marginal. Such absences will be excused, and work missed may be made up without penalty.
In the event that a storm develops or the weather changes unexpectedly during the day, USD 453 will:
- Remain open; schools will not dismiss early.
- If a parent/guardian feels child(ren) should come home, they may pick them up from school; such absences will be excused and work missed may be made up without penalty.